Monday, December 20, 2010

Testing Jitters

About a year ago, when I tested for my orange belt (I was jump-promoted through the white and yellow ranks because of the four-month time-frame between when I began studying again and my test), I was so nervous that I could hardly think straight. I remember that during the test, I mixed up my inside and outside blocks!

I tested for green belt three times because the first two times I was sick and had to stop for health purposes, so by the time my third test came, I was less nervous and more ready for it.

I have about four hours until my blue belt test. I'd like to be able to say that the old nervousness has gone away now and that I am completely confident in my ability to advance, but there's some serious nervous energy coursing through me right now. I'm going to have to really work hard to clear my head so that I don't forget what I'm doing.

The testing environment is kind of interesting because you don't get to practice your techniques a few times before being tested. You have to be able to do them on the spur of the moment, as accurately and effectively as possible. And with nervous energy, nonetheless. Sounds a lot like what a real fight is like, to me. Perhaps that's the point. What good is self-defense if you can't apply it when you need to?

Anyway, testing jitters strike again! We'll see how it goes tonight!

Update: Made it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment